- Honking in the states, at least in North Carolina, is kinda rude. But here, EVERYONE honks. If someone is going to slow…Honk! If you are turning a corner and don’t want to hit anyone…Honk! In order to warn someone that you are passing them and don’t want them to hit you…Honk! And basically if you just feel like it…Honk!
- Along with the blind and the deformed, there are also people trying to sell stuff at every stop light. If you were really lazy, it would not be hard to drive around the city and get all of your grocery shopping done without ever having to step out of your car.
- Obama is the president of the USA right? K that’s what I thought…but I was just checking because I see his face and name all over the place in Benin: shirts, boxers, sandals, posters. AND there is even a beach named after him!
- The speed bumps are a little bit ridiculous here. Instead of one speed bump, there tend to be about 6 in a row. I quickly learned that sleeping in the car is a skill to master because it’s difficult to keep your head from bouncing off the window while driving over billions of speed bumps.
- Funerals are not depressing events. Instead, they are a celebration! The funeral party either dresses in all black or all white & the event lasts all day long. Dancing, music and food are all part of the funeral…sounds more like a wedding doesn’t it?
- It’s a compliment to be called fat. They like their women big, and surprisingly a lot of them are. This is probably due to the fact that the majority of their diets are all carbs.
- Need directions? Ask ANYONE and they will tell you where to go. Although they may have NO idea where it is you want to go, they will give you directions anyways just because they want to help. We’ve found out from personal experience…